Kinesiology or kinesio tape is a thin, stretchy elastic cotton strap that adheres to the skin and can benefit a variety of musculoskeletal, sports and other injuries to the human body. The design of the tape is such that it is identical to skin and as such can be used in various movements which are constricting, restrictive or awkward. Kinesio tape is a highly researched rehabilitative technique that was designed to work together with the body’s healing process but providing stability and support for movement.
Benefits of Kinesio tape:
Kinesio tape can be used in treatment modalities or a variety of conditions from the head to the feet which include:
Kinesio tape can be used alongside multiple chiropractic treatment modalities including:
Kinesio tape has many various uses which include:
1. For rehabilitation: Most chiropractors will use kinesio tape to treat various injuries after manual manipulation as this has been proven to increase the efficacy of your chiropractic treatment. On the contrary, the tape can be used to help open fascial tissue to make manual manipulation easier.
2. For alignment: If you have the tendency to slouch, the chiropractor can use kinesio tape to correct posture, allowing the body to feel what it is like to have correct posture and therefore alleviate stress of associated muscles and joints.
3. For pain: After manual manipulation, chiropractors are able to tape the affected area with select techniques and decrease pain in associated areas, the most common condition treated for pain would be lower back and neck pain.
4. For competition/athletes: Seeing the chiropractor prior to a major sporting event or competition and getting provided with kinesio tape strapping can help prevent injuries you may be susceptible to.
Kinesio tape has many different corrective techniques which can be applicable to your situation. Here at Lakeside chiropractic the chiropractors are skilled in these various strapping techniques:
1. Mechanical correction “Recoiling”- Used to assist in correcting the position of a joint or a bone.
2. Fascia Correction “Holding”- Taping to hold and gather fascia in correct position.
3. Space correction “Lifting”- Used to create more space directly above the area of pain, inflammation or swelling in order to lift skin and relieve pressure to injured site.
4. Ligament/tendon correction “Pressure”- To increase stimulation over the area of the ligament/tendon, resulting in stimulation of mechanoreceptors.
5. Functional Correction “Spring”- To assist in sensory stimulation to either increase or decrease joint movement. In order to prevent overstretching of muscles, hypermobile joints and re-injury.
6. Lymphatic Correction “Channelling”- Used to create areas of decreased pressure under the tape in order to act as channels to drain fluid to nearest lymphatic duct in order to decrease swelling.
Lakeside Chiropractic is located in Central walk Joondalup-Perth we are a short drive from Hocking, Burns Beach, Sinagra, Heathridge, Connolly, Padbury, Craigie, Ocean Reef and Iluka. We have HICAPS available with same day claiming for your health fund. Medibank, HBF, Bupa, HIF CU Health, NIB to name a few. If your fund isn’t listed please ask when booking your appointment.
If you are interested in learning more about how kinesio tape may aid you or in the treatment of your specific condition please contact our friendly chiropractors on 9300 0095 for more information or to book a consultation.