Do you feel you have a headache coming from your Jaw?
Usually when someone is experiencing headaches, they will think it is a migraine. However, did you know that issues with the muscles and ligaments around your Jaw -temporomandibular joint (TMJ) can also cause headaches? Your Jaw is a hinge joint that connects the jaw to skull. Jaw pain/ TMJ is not uncommon and can be caused by trauma to the jaw, degenerative joint diseases such as arthritis, infections, stress, malalignment of teeth and autoimmune diseases. What happens is that when you grind or clench your teeth, the muscles around your jaw tightens up. The pain you feel from your jaw then travels to your skull which causes the headache, or in more severe cases, migraine. Some of the most common symptoms coming along with Jaw problems are toothache, ear pain and shoulder pain.
Symptoms of Temporomandibular joint TMJ pain:
- Tight jaw or tight facial muscles
- Facial or jaw pain
- Difficulty in opening mouth
- “Clicking” sound in jaw
- Changes in bite
- Neck pain
- Lock jaw symptoms
- TMJ migraine
- TMJ headaches
- Grinding teeth
How to diagnose Jaw problems:
- X-RAY of the jaw ( we can send you and Bulk billed)
- Detailed examination by chiropractor
- MRI of the jaw
Home self-management of headaches coming from the Jaw:
- Ice pack for sharp pain, to reduce inflammation
- Heat pack for dull achy pain, to improve blood flow around the joint
- Light massage around joint area
These are the few treatments to help with TMJ headache:
1. Lifestyle change:
- Eating soft food
- Avoid too much stress that can cause jaw clenching
- Avoid wide yawning
- Best to sleep on back to prevent putting pressure on your jaw
- Bite guard from orthodontist
Do subliminal hypnosis or techniques off YouTube before or during sleep to help Bruxism (jaw clenching) and manage stress.
2. Chiropractic care:
- If you wish to try another non-invasive treatment, you may consider chiropractic care. As chiropractors, we can help with jaw pain by reducing tension and dysfunction in the jaw and spine. As we reduce the tension in the jaw and realign joint, it releases the pressure on some nerves, which then ease pain associated with TMJ. With regular treatment from chiropractor, many find relief.
- We are able to do low-level laser to assist and speed up the joint and cartilage repair.
- The chiropractors can also do dry needling which can be useful in relaxing and releasing tight muscles.
3. Surgery- as last resort
- Changing your bite
- Replace joint
- Removing debris and fluid in joint
If you are keen to get chiropractic care for your Jaw pain and headaches or for any other reason, please do visit us at Lakeside Chiropractic Clinic. Some may avoid getting care because they unaware of how we may ease your suffering and might also be having financial problems. Fortunately, at Lakeside Chiropractic Clinic you do not need to worry much with high prices as we offer a reasonable pricing and walk-in appointments to get the care that you need. Feel free to ring us up to help you choose the best option for you. You can call us at (08) 9300 0095 or book online to create a treatment plan with one of our chiropractors.
Schedule an Appointment