Ankle sprains are a common injury sustained with a sudden jolt or twist to the ankle, overstretching or tearing ligaments results in pain and swelling of the ankle.
- Signs of a sprained ankle:
- Pain in the ankle and surrounding tissue
- Inability to weight bear on that foot
- Skin discoloration
Following Ankle injury:
- Apply strapping or tight bandage
- Take anti-inflammatory (Curcumin or Panadol)
- Alternatively fill two bowls of water, on hot and one cold- put foot into one bowl for 30 seconds to a minute then alternate to the other bowl. Alternate between hot and cold for up to 6 times
- If ankle is still swollen important to elevate foot above hip height (move foot up and down in this position to minimise swelling).
- Tubigrip can be worn but must be removed at night time.
- Cold laser therapy helps speed up healing and improve inflammation
- See your local chiropractor for manipulation and stretches. Both shown to be effective in research studies.
- Acupuncture can also help with pain and speed up healing
Exercises following sprained ankle: (take a look at our website for ankle exercises)
- Sit with your feet in front of you and knees straight. Pull your toes towards you as far as you can and hold for 5 seconds. Then pull your toes downs as far as you can and hold for 5 seconds. (Make sure the movement is occurring at the ankle).
- Turn your feet so the soles of your feet are facing each other and hold for 5 seconds. Then turn your feet out so the soles of your feet are facing outwards and hold for 5 seconds. Move both feet around in circles both ways.
- Sit with your feet flat on the floor- lift your heels up keeping your toes on the floor then put your heels down, lifting your toes up.
- After 48 hours and swelling has reduced practice walking by putting your heels down and pushing off with your toes.
Try doing these exercises little and often- every hour and building from 10 repetitions initially to 15-20 repetitions.
Our experienced clinicians at Lakeside Chiropractic can assist you at the point of injury as well as help reduce the risk of the recurrence of your ankle sprain. A variety of modalities are incorporated in treatment including, adjusting, mobilizations, dry needling, strapping, a personalized strengthening guide if required. Recurrent ankle sprains may lead to osteoporosis in the ankle which is why it is important to treat the issue at early stages.
If you are experiencing ankle weakness, had an ankle sprain or have a recurrence of ankle sprains, come down to Lakeside Chiropractic .
Lakeside Chiropractic is central to the northern suburbs of Perth. We are located near Lakeside Shopping Centre in Joondalup, local to Currambine, Connolly, Edgewater, Iluka, Ocean Reef, Tapping, Kinross, Clarkson. You can contact us on 9300 0095 or book online at www.lakesidechiro.com.au.